Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Summer Pizza at Home: Summer Squash, Leek and Tomatoes and Spinach Pesto

Summer Squash pizza (before)
It's been a little while since we made pizza at home with my own dough, but all these bright new summer vegetables have inspired me to fire up the pizza stone again. I made the pizza dough in the morning using my minimal knead method with Caputo 00 flour and a/p flour. The first pizza was topped with sliced smoked mozzarella, pesto, roasted summer squash and leeks, fresh sliced tomatoes and sliced garlic. I roasted the summer squash and leeks tossed in a little olive oil, salt and pepper in the oven for about 10 minutes as I was preheating the oven up to 525 for the pizza. The pizza was done in about 14 minutes and the sweetness of the variety of summer vegetables really shone. For the next pizza, I just made our favorite spinach pizza with minor modifications: I used sliced mozzerella and some pesto for the base instead of comte and aged pecorino. We all love this pie as we are all big spinach fans. It's pretty easy to eat a vegetarian dinner in the summer as there is so much wonderful produce to play with. It turned out to be an all vegetarian / vegan day as we had a couple of tasty vegan sandwiches, including the vegan tuna melt and spicy gardein chicken sandwich from Green Peas for lunch.
I bought a basket of lovely summer squash for the pizza with plenty leftover for future recipes
Summer Squash Pizza (after)
Spinach pizza
Nice thick layers of spinach with the cheesy pesto goodness underneath

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...