Saturday, May 19, 2012

Pumped Up Kicks: River Island White Wedge Sneakers

River Island Wedge / Hidden Heel Hi Tops in White
I've been looking for a comfortable pair of high top sneakers for awhile now, preferably with a wedge for some additional height, but without spending too much. Since I'm avoiding wobbly heels these days, I'm in sneakers a lot more, so a fun pair would be a nice update to the wardrobe. Of course, I love the Isabel Marant Willow / Beckett / Bobby / Wila versions, but they are always sold out, plus at $750+, they are quite the splurge for something that is relatively trendy. I finally settled on these River Island Wedge High Tops, in neutral white / beige, perfect for summer shorts and dresses. I dislike ordering things from the UK because it just takes so long to get here and I'm into instant gratification, but I couldn't find any satisfying alternatives in the US, so I went ahead and ordered them last week. At about $80 USD including shipping, taxes and all that, they were a pretty good value and arrived today, about 9 days after I ordered them online, which isn't bad. They are quite comfortable; the hidden heel wedge height  is about 2 inches measured from the top of the sole, which is perfect for a little boost without sacrificing comfort. I could definitely see myself running around town in these. Quality seems fine; they are made in Italy, stitching is pretty even, though I'm not sure how much of the shoe, if any is actual leather. I am normally a US size 6.5 - 7 and Euro size 37, but I ordered the the Euro 38 / UK 5 to be safe; better too big than too small, especially with the hassle of returning them back to the UK. They are just a touch big, but not too bad, plus I plan on wearing them with socks and always can add an insole. K is not a huge fan of them, he said they reminded him of something Kanye would wear and finds them a little bulky, but I think he's slowly getting used to them.
Comfortable summer outfit: really old Polo Ralph Lauren striped dress, BCBG denim jacket, Marni x H&M sunglasses and bracelet, and River Island wedge sneakers
I have to say, I've been also intrigued by the Nike x Liberty of London Dunk Sky Hi versions, but I think the print might be too much for everyday wear. Might be a cool collector's item though.
.Nike Dunk Sky Hi. Image from nike.com. ~$130
These Topshop silver versions are pretty awesome, but perhaps too flashy for everyday. They make me think of astronauts and a spacesuit. They weren't available when I was shopping around, or else I very well may have gone with this pair. Go big or go home.
Topshop Aerobic Wedge Trainers. Image from Topshop.com. ~$100

3 comments:

  1. I just love your outfit...and since I got the Topshop Trainers today I might have to try your look tomorrow... =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! I'm really tempted by the Topshop versions, particularly in silver and the black.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello, I'm looking for hidden high shoes.., Do you know how high is the river island shoes? thanks♥

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...