Sunday, March 13, 2011

Day 7: Gaudi, Gaudi, Gaudi and Shopping in Barcelona

We spent my last full day in Barcelona visiting Antoni Gaudi's most famous works in the heart of Barcelona: Casa Battlo, Casa Mila (La Pedrera) and the fantastic Sagrada Familia, one of my all-time favorite buildings.  In between Gaudi stops, we shopped around Barcelona, along Las Ramblas, Portal L'Angel and Passeig de Gracia. That's what I love about traveling with another girl; ample time for shopping in addition to the more cultural endeavors.  Unfortunately it was an overcast day, plus I didn't have the right camera lenses nor the right skills, so it was hard to capture the true magnificence of Gaudi's work.
Casa Battlo; the balconies always remind me of skulls.  Tickets were expensive so we didn't go in.
Casa Mila "La Pedrera"
My favorite part of Casa Mila: the swoopy rooftop and stormtrooper chimney heads and mosaic covered stairwells
Love the mosaic covered stairwells
Sagrada Familia in the distance
Basílica y Templo Expiatorio de la Sagrada Familia - the Passion facade
Sagrada Familia, the Nativity Facade.  Amazing how two sides of the same building can be utterly different
They've made a lot of progress since my trip four years ago; particularly inside. Only 15-30 more years to go.
Passion facade details. All these statues are so starkly evocative


Nativity Facade: the intricate detailing of this side is unbelievable. I love the creepy melting candle wax feel


I only recently noticed all the writing throughout
We rode the elevator up one of the spirals and were able to capture some details near the top
Reminscent of fruit baskets or rainbow coco puffs
Shopping breaks
Las Ramblas
Calle Tallers. I love the rambling narrow streets of Barcelona in the Cuitat Vella

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...