Tuesday, September 27, 2011

Not Just Soup

3 lbs combination of roma tomatoes and Early Girl tomatoes from the farmer's market
Despite the still warm fall weather, I couldn't wait to make Smitten Kitchen's roasted tomato soup with broiled cheddar as soon as I saw the mouthwatering pictures and while tomatoes are still abundant and in season. I love grilled cheese and tomato soup, as well as french onion soups, so I knew I was going to like this dish. There's nothing better than a big bowl of warm soup covered by plenty of bubbly melted cheese and soft broth soaked bread. I pretty much followed the Smitten Kitchen recipe exactly with the exception of substituting vegan Daiya cheddar cheese on top, using half a sprig of rosemary and basil (removing before serving) instead of thyme, and using an immersion blender in a Le Creuset pot as opposed to the food processor. It's a little time consuming as you have to roast the tomatoes, then make the soup on the stove, finish it in the oven for another 20 minutes, and wait for the piping hot bowls to cool, but its worth it, although in the winter time I will probably use organic Cream of Tomato soup from Trader Joe's for a really quick meal. It's really filling with all the bread and cheese and makes for a great lunch or quick dinner. I now have french onion soup crocks on my wishlist!

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...