Wednesday, February 29, 2012

There's Something About Mary...Review of Mary Katrantzou x Topshop Purchases

Mary Katrantzou x Topshop printed tunic dress (sorry, it came quite wrinkled after traveling almost 2 weeks overseas in the mail, and I didn't have time to iron it)
My eagerly anticipated Mary Katrantzou x Topshop online order finally arrived in the mail today, coinciding with the same day as the first US release of the collaboration at the New York Topshop store this morning, where most everything supposedly sold out in minutes. Vegas will be selling the collection starting March 8th, when the new Las Vegas Topshop opens. I'm really glad that I managed to catch the online launch on the evening of February 16th as New York didn't get many pieces in (1 or 2 per size?!) and even limited shoppers to only one piece each (a good policy to deter eBay hoarders). I wasn't sure if my online order actually went through as I had a typo in my email address and wasn't ever able to see or track my order online; I even called the New York Topshop personal shopper line this morning to see if I could buy anything over the phone (which is how I bought the Mary Katrantzou Newgen Tshirt from the Chicago Topshop), but they wouldn't allow it for this collection. I was pleasantly surprised (and very relieved) when USPS delivered my package today, a little under two weeks later. 
No time to really "put together" this look, but here are the details anyway: Mary Katrantzou x Topshop tunic dress, Forever21 leggings, Christian Louboutin heels and Prada sunglasses
I've seen very few fit / detail reviews of the collection, even the Topshop online description doesn't give dimensions and its hard to judge from pics of a model, so I wanted to post this quickly. I will try and post better pictures later, as I didn't have time to iron the dress plus the sun was going down, but here are some quick shots of the tunic dress. I'm pleasantly surprised to find that the tunic isn't as short as I had expected; it's possible to wear as a dress without tights / leggings / jeans, without being too scandalously short (caveat being that I'm not super tall though). This is a size S, which fits well at five months pregnant, even though it looks big on the hanger. The silk fabric is quite thin and a bit see-through and I wouldn't say that the construction is amazing; it's a fairly straight forwardly cut and finished dress, but I do adore the bird and floral print and bright colors. It's a very easy silhouette to wear and can be dressed up or down. I'm really glad that this is the piece that I got out of the collection (aside from the Newgen T shirt), I'll definitely get the most use out of it. Pics to come of the NewGen T-shirt when it arrives on Friday (here it is!)! PS: looks like the Topshop online website is getting some occasional returns, including the infamous balloon dress, so check back often if you missed out at the launch.
The free Mary Katrantzou print canvas tote bag that came with my online order, I just love the vibrant jeweled print, which is also the same print on the blouse and strapless balloon dress from the collection.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...