Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Golf in the South Bay

 It's a little hard to see, but that's all ocean beyond the green
Sunday afternoon, K. and I headed south to Rancho Palos Verdes to play golf at Los Verdes golf course.  We randomly got paired up with one of K's college friends that he hadn't seen since graduation, so it was fun catching up in addition to playing golf.  Los Verdes is located on the cliffs overlooking the ocean and there were some pretty stunning ocean views, particularly on holes 15 and 16.  Pretty impressive for a public golf course, and it was only $30 including a golf cart during twilight, after 3pm.  Unfortunately, it was mostly overcast from June gloom, so the views weren't as striking as they normally would have been.  We were able to play a full 18 holes starting at 3:24pm.  It was a little crowded and we had to wait on a couple of holes, but we didn't mind since we were with good company.  I was actually pretty happy with how I played; I was able to keep up with the guys for the most part  The course is hilly, but not too challenging; I didn't even lose any balls. 
Reminds me a little of Pebble Beach, where we are going next week!
The only bummer was that I lost my drivers license somewhere on the back nine, so I'm currently blogging from the Santa Monica DMV.  Do not believe the wait times on the website; it said only 29 minutes on the website but I've been waiting almost an hour with quite a bit longer to go.  The annoying lady next to me is filling out a stack of greeting cards that play music when opened; good thing I have headphones.

After golf, we dined at I-naba Restaurant, which is conveniently on the way back to the freeway. I thought it was a pretty good dinner deal, for $20, you get a small salad, choice; of sushi an rolls or marinated tuna bowl, assorted tempura and a hot or cold soba or udon.  I got the marinated tuna bowl and cold soba. They are particularly known for their cold soba and it was indeed delicious; thin, toothsome, chewy, without any graininess. Their tempura us also quite well known, It was perfectly deep fried with light and crispy batter.  It was definitely a good finish to a long afternoon of golf.

Los Verdes Golf Course
7000 West Los Verdes Drive
Rancho Palos Verdes, CA  90275
(310) 377-7370

I-naba Restaurant
20920 Hawthorne Blvd.
Torrance, CA  90503
(310) 371-6675

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...