Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Slow Roasted Salmon

Continuing on the seafood trend, since it is summer after all, I experimented with some wild alaskan salmon last night.  I couldn't decide whether I should poach it, or pan fry it, or roast it in the oven, or bake it in foil, so I did none of the above.  I decided to slow cook it in the oven based on a technique in serious eats, but with my own ingredients.  Since I had two ears of corn and 4 roma tomatoes leftover from the previous week's meals, I decided to slow roast the salmon on top of tomatoes, corn and onions and serve it on a bed of fresh organic baby spinach for even more healthy veggieness. 
  • First, I preheated the oven to 250 degrees
  • In my Le Creuset 3 1/2 quart wide french oven (off topic, but this is the Le Creuset dish I use the most: for sauteeing vegetables and potatoes, making soup or risotto), over medium heat, I heated up a couple of TB of olive oil and added 1 small thinly sliced onion and sauteed until soft, just a couple of minutes
  • Then, I added the chopped tomatoes and corn, which I shaved off the cob, and sauteed for a couple of minutes
  • I laid two filets of salmon (~1 lb total) on top of the tomatoes, corn and onions, seasoned with just a little olive oil, salt and pepper, and added 1/2 cup of white wine.  On top of the salmon, I laid a couple of thin slices of lemon
  • Baked in the oven for half an hour
  • Served on a bed of spinach
It was a pretty good way of cooking the salmon; the salmon was cooked through, but not dry.  The tomato, corn and onion base was really good; roasting in the oven really brought out the sweetness in all three vegetables, and they also added a little moisture to the fish.  I thought it was a good, healthy dish (plus easy cleanup, just the le creuset pot), so I'll definitely be making it again!

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...