Sunday, April 25, 2010

Low and Slow Eggs

everything is better with truffle salt
Recently, inspired by this post by thekitchn, I've been making scrambled eggs very slowly using the lowest possible heat. I start by heating a small pat of butter in a small 8-inch non-stick fry pan (I hate cleaning eggs off of my stainless steel pans) over the lowest possible setting on my stove. While the butter is heating up, I crack and whisk 3 eggs together very well, until it is uniform in color and texture. Then, I pour the eggs into the pan. For the first five minutes, I generally go do other things, like feed the dogs, and just stir with a wooden spoon every once in awhile; curds start forming after about five minutes. Once the curds start forming, I stir more often, making sure to scrape and curds on the bottom of the pan, and stir almost continuously for the last five minutes of cooking when there isn't really any liquid left. It usually takes 15-20 minutes to cook; longer if you use more eggs. A couple lessons learned over the last few weeks; don't get impatient and turn up the pan at any time, even at the beginning when heating the butter (the residual heat cooks the eggs too fast). Also, the more eggs you use, the longer it will take, so maybe try a larger pan (don't turn up the heat)! After the eggs are done (I like them soft, but not liquidy / watery), I take them off the pan. Season with some truffle salt, freshly cracked black pepper, and chopped chives (if I have them around). They truly are unlike regular scrambled eggs; they turn a dark yellow / orange and taste very "egg-y", with a very decadent rich and creamy texture (without adding any cream or milk). I love them, but it does take patience to make. I use Sabatino's truffle salt from Bay Cities. At $16 for a small jar, it isn't cheap, but a little does go a long way.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...