Saturday, October 1, 2011

Kiriko Review: Beautiful Omakase on Sawtelle

Ever since my two favorite sushi chefs left Hachi, I've been looking for a good omakase sushi bar that isn't too outrageously priced. I still like going to Sushi King for straightforward fresh nigiri, but occasionally I'm in the mood for something a little more creative and artisan. I'd been to Kiriko only once a long time ago, but ordered a la carte and wasn't that impressed. I've heard good things about their omakase and decided to check it out for lunch with my cousin in town from Paris. I thought the omakase was excellent; beautifully presented, new and exciting flavor combinations and fresh fish. My only complaint is that the blue crab roll came out at the same time as the nigiri, so it got a little soggy, as I like save the roll for last. At $45 per person, it was pretty reasonable for omakase and we left completely stuffed. We didn't really interact with the sushi chef but the service was really polite. I'll definitely be going back to Kiriko for the omakase.
Salad and miso soup starter
First sashimi course: caviar topped smoked salmon wrapped around mango, monkfish liver with ponzu gelee and shiso, octopus
2nd sashimi course: scallops topped with yuzu and olive oil, mackerel with fried garlic and daikon, amberjack with jalapeno

Nigiri and crab handroll course: red snapper sushi, bluefin tuna, hamachi, salmon
Blue crab handroll
11301 Olympic Blvd
Los Angeles, CA

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...