Saturday, December 11, 2010

Orecchiette with Collard Greens and Tomatoes

For some reason, we seem to eat more pasta during the winter.  I think I generally crave carbs as the weather gets cold; it's straight up comfort food served alongside some nice warm tomato soup.  I bought some collard greens at the farmer's market two weeks ago and while they've lasted longer than regular greens, I needed to use them up before they went yellow.  This week, I came across the excellent Molto Mario basic pasta episode where he made orecchiette with broccoli rabe, and decided to substitute collard greens for broccoli rabe and otherwise followed his recipe exactly.  Babbo and Lupa's orecchiette with sausage and broccoli rabe tops my list of all-time favorite dishes, and this was a similar version, just without the sausage  and the addition of a little tomato sauce.  It was really quick to prep and make (~20 mins) good and relatively healthy, although just a touch bland.  I do like the hearty texture of the collard greens and as long as you are generous with the freshly grated parmigiano reggiano, it's hard hard to go wrong.  Add some hot italian sausage and it's in a whole other league.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...