Tuesday, April 12, 2011

My Deserted Island Wine

Saturday night, we had a couple friends over and I opened up a bottle 2008 Rivers-Marie Sonoma Coast Pinot Noir and had an epiphany: this could be my deserted island bottle of wine. I could be happy drinking this and only this wine for the rest of life if I were stranded on a deserted island. It has a big heady perfume of a nose which I could sit around inhaling forever, not even drinking the wine; that silky light pinot noir mouthfeel with lively bright fruit flavors with a touch of vanilla warmth and a long lingering finish. It doesn't have any tartness or tightness nor is it too hot and jammy like some pinot noirs. It's perfect. It has just enough structure and finesse but is so incredibly drinkable; you just want to have more and more. At $25, it's a total steal for such a wonderful pinot noir; I prefer it to bottles that cost over 2x. I would buy cases and cases every year if I could; unfortunately they only produce about 200 cases per year and therefore limit the allocation to 3-4 bottles a year. Sadly, I only have one more bottle of the 2008 left. Thanks to M&M for the introduction those many years ago!

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...