Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Mid-August Farmer's Market Report and Meal

OT: still a big fan of the 35mm f/1.8g lens. I've been using it exclusively for the last couple of weeks; still need practice, but colors and textures are so sharp, I never touch up any images ever.
Today was one of those days of running around where I hit up pretty much all the markets in Santa Monica: the farmer's market, Co-op, Trader Joe's, Whole Foods, my parent's house (where I picked some fresh tomatoes from the garden plus raided their never empty stash of garlic and ginger). Farmer's market currently is all about tomatoes, grapes, peppers and eggplants. Stone fruit is starting to wane and I saw quite a few stands with figs; may be time for another fig pizza soon. I bought some salad greens, red and yellow peppers, eggplants and bicolor corn. I couldn't find limes at any stands, so I went to the Co-op, which was also out of limes, but I ended up buying another bag of organic red grapes which were really good the first time and a bunch of vegan goods including some prepared Ethiopian food from Rahel's for my lunch. I then went to Trader Joe's, which finally had limes. After leaving Trader Joe's and my parents house, I realized I needed more cilantro and tomatoes, so I stopped by Whole Foods. Way too much running around! For dinner tonight, I made a shrimp and clam thai curry with seared tofu, eggplant and peppers from the morning's farmer's market. I basically followed this recipe, but added a little bit of white wine which always goes good with seafood and used an additional 2 cups of water instead of the 2nd can of light coconut milk (I realized too late that I only had 1 can in my pantry, although using my water to thin it out may actually be better). We paired the curry with a lovely crisp bottle of 2010 Denner Rose from our pass through Paso Robles in May.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...