Thursday, May 13, 2010

Presto Pesto

Sometimes, when I need a little break, I like to make pesto.  Not sure why; I still have a couple frozen baggies of pesto in the fridge as evidence, but I think that it is fun to turn this:
into this:
I wanted to test out my family friend's recipe, which includes slightly different ingredients vs. the traditional basil, pine nut pesto: her pesto uses roasted garlic, parsley, cilantro and some honey.  I used 1 bunch of cilantro (the leaves and a little stem), 1 bunch of parsley (just the leaves), 1 whole head of garlic roasted for 40 minutes at 400 degrees (cut the head in half, drizzle with olive and sprinkle salt and pepper, and wrap tightly in foil), 1 cup of grated parmigiano reggiano, 3/4 cups of walnuts, drizzle in slowly 2/3 -3/4 cups of olive oil while the food processor is running (most recipes call for a little more olive oil, but I don't like using too much), couple drizzles of honey and salt and pepper to taste.  Just chop it all up in the food processor and its done!

Today has been a lovely day; went to Jerome's class at Power Yoga again.  Not as tough as last time, but still a good class.  I biked down to the class just off the 3rd Street Promenade which was no problem on the way there, but was very painful on the way back as it is all uphill, compounded by the exhaustion from a 1.5 hour intense yoga session.  I broke up the trip slightly by stopping by some furniture stores off the Promenade for throw pillows (no luck, anyone have any suggestions for good throw pillow stores?), and then stopping by the Montana library to pick up the Avatar DVD (never saw it in the theaters), "Swann's Way" by Marcel Proust (heard there's food involved), and "Garlic and Sapphires" by Ruth Reichl for my mom (I really enjoyed reading this book as I've dined at several of the places she's reviewed; I think my mom will enjoy it too, she's just finishing up Ruth Reichl's "Comfort Me with Apples").  I love the library; best part is that it is free!  Now it's time for some work after much procrastination. 

Random Floyd picture: he's taken recently to stealing Otis' toys. Good for Floyd!

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...