Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Tomato Season

After Costco and before yoga, I went to the Wednesday Santa Monica farmer's market to pick up vegetables for the week and for the Memorial Day BBQ.  All sorts of tomatoes were everywhere: vine ripened tomatoes (above), green tomatoes, cherry tomatoes and even my favorite, heirloom tomatoes (at two stands).
Heirloom tomatoes are still looking a little funky but will be great in a couple of weeks
Stone fruit, including peaches, nectarines and cherries were at several stands.  I love the names of the random stone fruit hybrids, like "pluot" an "aprium."
I bought a few bunches of asparagus for grilling, some arugula and mixed greens for salads, butter lettuce, grapefruit, vine-ripened tomatoes for guacamole, cherry tomatoes for salads, and kale for pasta.
Maggie's Herb Farm, where I buy all my salads
Very socal: nopal, or cactus! Wonder what to make with them

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...