Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Cooking on the Road

Last night, I made dinner on the road.  I really enjoy cooking for people and I feel like home cooked meals are relaxing and restorative, so I was happy that I had the opportunity to contribute.  I had a little time in the afternoon so I made a summery linguine bolognese, using as many fresh organic vegetables as possible, plus the watermelon feta arugula salad that I've been making a lot recently.  We paired it with a bottle of 2006 Lincourt Sauvignon Blanc from Santa Ynez; one of our favorite go-to summery wines.
I combined several recipes for the bolognese:
  • Saute over medium heat in a couple of TBs of olive oil for 5-10 minutes finely diced vegetables: 5 cloves of garlic, 1 medium sweet onion, 3 stalks of medium-sized celery, 3 medium-sized carrots, 2 bay leaves, torn, seasoned with a little salt and pepper
  • Add 2 diced zucchini and 8 oz of sliced mushrooms and cook until the mushrooms are cooked down.  I added a splash of cabernet sauvignon to flavor the mushrooms and seasoned with a little salt and pepper
  • Add in 1.3 lbs of ground turkey and cook until fully cooked.  Season with a little salt and pepper.  Add a can of tomato paste for some concentrated tomato flavor and mix through, add 1 cup of milk and simmer for another 10 minutes
  • Add 1 cup of low sodium chicken stock, 1 cup of red wine, and 1 28 oz can of crushed tomatoes, and bring to a simmer
  • Simmer for 2 hours+, mostly covered, stirring occasionally and seasoning with salt and pepper to taste
  • Sprinkle with fresh chopped basil, grated parmigiano reggiano, and serve over linguine

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...