Monday, October 18, 2010

Banh Mi My Tho: Favorite Banh Mi Spot (so far)

I finally made it to Banh Mi My Tho in Alhambra on Saturday to pick up sandwiches for Sunday's roadtrip to the gorgeous Four Seasons Biltmore in Santa Barbara for S. and J.'s wonderful wedding.  We ordered six #2's: Special Cold Cut Combo and four #8: roast pork sandwich, for 10 sandwiches for a whopping total of $25.  They packed all the pickled vegetables in a separate baggie for us so that they wouldn't make the sandwiches soggy and also did not toast the bread, so that the baguettes would remain soft.  Even though we ate the sandwiches cold and untoasted, they still really hit the spot.  My favorite was the #2 because I like the variety of meat; #8 was good, but got a little boring after awhile.  This place does not skimp on the meat either and the baguettes are substantial; I was more than stuffed after 1 sandwich, whereas at most other places, I'm often still a little hungry after 1 sandwich.  Everything tasted really fresh, the meat seemed high quality, and I really like the contrast of the pickled vegetables (I think carrots and daikon), fresh cucumber and cilantro and a little heat from the jalapeno with the meat and the bread.  Banh Mi My Tho definitely tops the other places in the San Gabriel Valley that I've tried: Lee's Sandwiches, Banh Mi Che Cali, and Saigon Bakery.  The place is a little crowded and you'll have to wait a bit for your sandwich, but at least parking is plentiful.  It's a little out of the way; a little west of the places I usually go when running errands in San Gabriel Valley, but I'll be back; you really can't beat $2.50 for a delicious sandwich!

Banh Mi My Tho
304 West Valley Blvd
Alhambra, CA  91803
(626) 289-4160

1 comment:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...