Monday, January 17, 2011

Rosemary Cauliflower Soup

I've always loved creamy cauliflower soup so I made my own version last night, even though it's been 80 degrees outside.  It was pretty easy; pretty much the same recipe that I use for all my soups, with the addition of a little bit of roux in the middle to thicken it up.  It's definitely one of my favorite soups that I have ever made; rich and creamy with a deep cauliflower taste and just a hint of rosemary.

Rosemary Cauliflower Soup Recipe:
  • Dice 1-2 leeks, white and light green parts only
  • Cut a head of cauliflower into flowers
  • Chop about 1 TB of rosemary leaves
  • Dice 1-2 stalks of celery
  • Dice 1 medium potato or 3 fingerling potatoes
  • Heat up 1-2 TB of butter and 1-2 TB of olive oil over medium heat in a 3 1/2 quart le creuset round french oven
  • Saute the leeks until soft, about 5-10 minutes.  Add the celery after about 3 minutes.  Season with a little salt and pepper
  • Add the cauliflower florets and potato and saute for another 5-10 minutes.  Season with salt and pepper and add the chopped rosemary leaves towards the end
  • Push the vegetables to the side and melt another 1 TB of butter and 2-3 TB of flour and whisk together to form a roux
  • Add 1 quart of chicken broth.  I added about 6 cups because I had leftover chicken broth.  Add 1-2 sprigs of rosemary.  Bring to a boil and then let it simmer until the cauliflower and potato are soft, about 15-20 minutes.  Season with a little salt and pepper
  • Blend with Cuisinart immersion hand blender.  Add 4 TB of heavy cream and taste for seasoning 
  • Garnish with fresh parsley or chives

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...