Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Spicy Toro on Puffy Rice

Last night, I made spicy toro on puffy rice crackers based on one of my favorite dishes from Musha.  I bought the rice crackers, so only had to assemble the spicy tuna, which was quick and easy.  I mixed together 1 TB of Kewpie mayonnaise, 3/4 TB of sriracha sauce, 1/2 tsp of sesame oil.  We had 1/3 lb of pre-diced toro (tuna belly) from Marukai; I sliced some to make them all uniform chunks, but I didn't dice them too small or turn it into tartare, since it was such high quality fish.  I mixed the toro with the sauce and served on top of puffed rice crackers, garnished with a little thinly sliced scallions.  The puffed rice crackers were a tad too sweet, although the sweetness was an unusual and interesting contrast.  In the future, I'll try to find more savory crackers.  It was really tasty in any case!  It was perhaps even better than the other versions since we used toro, instead of regular tuna.  We paired the toro dish with a bottle of Kurasawa sake, one of our everyday go-to sakes.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...