Saturday, November 6, 2010

Zhang Ma Ma Niu Rou Mian: Favorite Beef Noodle Soup in Taipei

For as long as I can remember, Beef Noodle Soup has always been one of my favorite foods.  I love anything with noodles and love the rich beefy broth.  I usually don't eat the beef in the noodles in the US because it can be dry and tough, but that was not the case here.  This was my first time to Zhang Ma Ma's even though it's just a short walk from my grandparent's place on Jin Shan Nan Lu (near the Guting MRT station and Shi Da).  I thought it was absolutely delicious.  I ordered the hong shao niu rou mian with half tendon and half beef.  The broth was definitely the richest and most deeply flavorful broth I've ever had, I drank every last sip.  The beef was also very tender and had a lot more flavor than usual.  They must season and cook it separately or something before putting it in the broth.  The noodles had a nice bite to them, a great "kiu" texture.  The small appetizer plates were also very good: spicy cucumber, tofu, spicy seaweed, cabbage.  This will be one of my must visit spots on all future trips to Taiwan.  The noodles are a little expensive for niu rou mian, close to $10, but definitely worth it.  The shop is spotless and tiny, and always packed.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...