Friday, November 5, 2010

Mussels with Chorizo and Corn

It's been strangely hot over here; 96 degrees yesterday afternoon in Santa Monica.  I can only take a few days in a row of heat; looking forward to some more normal weather soon.  Otherwise, we'll have to turn on the AC! Since it was so mild and pleasant outside even in the evening, I decided to make a big pot of mussels for a nice meal outside on the patio.  I pretty much followed my previous recipe, except that I added two ears of shaved corn and 2 sliced jalapenos, all from Wednesday's farmer's market.  I also used real Mexican chorizo (from Costco) which cooked up and crumbled a lot easier than the Spanish chorizo I bought last time.  I used over 5 lbs Penn Cove mussels from Costco and it made plenty; probably could have fed 4 people.  I really liked the addition of the corn; added a nice texture and slight crunch alongside the chorizo with the mussels.  The chorizo was also really good; it made for a really intense, meaty broth.  We paired it with the 2009 Crios Torrontes, one of my go-to everyday whites, a really versatile, interesting wine that paired well with the mussels and was also enjoyable to drink outside on a warm November evening.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...