Wednesday, November 17, 2010

November Farmer's Market: Funny Gourds and Citrus Season

Swan gourds: I thought these were so cool! Decorative only.
We went to the Santa Monica Wednesday's farmer's market to get a head start on some Thanksgiving shopping as well as for some vegetables for the week.  Various pumpkins, gourds and squash are in abundance, as well as fall apples and pears, root vegetables, and citrus is beginning to appear at more and more stands.  We bought some Thanksgiving herbs including rosemary, sage and thyme, grapefruit, brussel sprouts, butternut squash, parsnips, salad greens and Japanese spinach.  I'm getting excited for Thanksgiving: I watched a marathon of dvr'd Thanksgiving cooking shows last night for inspiration, with many more in the queue to watch.  So far, I'm liking what Tyler Florence is doing; you'll be seeing some of his dishes on my Thanksgiving table.


Pears and citrus
Potatoes and Brussel Sprouts



This guy was not happy that I was taking pictures of his squash. Whatever dude.
Look at those giant watermelon radishes
The Border Grill food truck was parked in the middle of the market so we had a carne asada taco and a pork taco.  Both were delicious: juicy meat, tasty garnishes and bursting with flavor.  I also liked their handmade corn tortilla; definitely had a different, more mealy (in a good, rustic way) texture than most tortillas.


To celebrate the start of citrus season, I made my favorite grapefruit, avocado and chicken salad with sesame dressing for dinner last night as well as for lunch.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...