Saturday, November 6, 2010

Sausage Peppers and Onions Pizza

Last night was wine club for the girls and whiskey night for the guys so pizza tonight seemed like a good recovery meal to cure the previous night's excesses.  We've been on a vegetarian pizza kick lately, so I decided to make a traditional sausage, peppers and onions pizza as our first pie (and our favorite spinach pizza as our second pie).  I cheated and tried out Trader Joe's premade pizza dough.  It was fine, but made for two small pizzas and was still expensive relative to making our own dough so I would probably continue making my own dough in the future.  For the first pie, I sliced half an onion, one large red bell pepper, 4 cloves of garlic and 2 links of mild italian sausage.  I heated up a saute pan with a little olive oil over medium heat and first sauteed the onions until soft (10 minutes), then added the peppers until soft (another 10 minutes or so; I really wanted the onions and peppers to caramelize), and then added the sausage and cooked it until it was fully cooked through.  I stretched out the dough, brushed it with some olive oil, spooned on tomato sauce (tomato puree, salt and pepper, a few cloves of garlic, and a few shakes of dried oregano), sprinkled with grated light jarlsberg and aged peppered pecorino romano, ladled the sausage, pepper and onion mixture, and topped with some sliced garlic.  I baked the pizza on the pizza stone at 525 degrees for about 8 minutes and it was done.  It was really tasty; the onions and peppers caramelized nicely and were soft and sweet, and there were nice meaty bites of sausage with the cheese and hint of tomato sauce.  After the spinach pie, we were totally stuffed.  Perfect meal after a night of drinking.  We've been doing a really good job of cooking at home lately; K. cooked at home all 10 days that I was in Asia (very proud of him), and I've cooked every meal in the week since I got back from Asia.  Sounds a bit odd, but I like the feeling of filling our fridge completely with groceries and watching it disappear as we cook our way through everything, very satisfying.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...