Sunday, November 21, 2010

From Lanvin to Liver

I've been watching a lot of Molto Mario on the Cooking Channel but haven't attempted that many of his recipes. Last night, I decided to try his Chicken Livers Banker Style over Risotto (Fegato di Pollo alla Finanziera) and Spinach with Cheese and Eggs (Spinaci, Cacio e Uova).  I've never worked with chicken livers before (or any kind of liver), they definitely are a bit funky.  I followed the recipes pretty closely, with the exception of using my usual risotto recipe as opposed to his (less butter, more olive oil, 2/3 cups of white wine before adding broth).  Both dishes were pretty good, although I'm not sure that I would make it again, at least soon, as the Chicken Liver risotto was quite strong.  The livers were a little dry; not sure if I overcooked it or if that's just how it is supposed to be.  The spinach was pretty good, although I scrambled the eggs and overcooked them a bit, and we just had some Bosc pears for dessert which was a nice palate cleanser after a rich meal.  We paired the meal with some Glenmorangie 18 years Scotch, which went quite well with the risotto: I tasted a sweetness in the scotch that made it quite food-friendly.  A good carbo-loading meal before the LA Prostate Cancer 5K race this morning in Brentwood.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...