Donburi Recipe (made enough for 2 people + 1 lunch):
- To prep: thinly slice 1/2 a large onion, chop 4 green onions, dice 1 lb of organic chicken thighs, clean and slice 8 oz of organic cremini mushrooms, and whisk together 4-5 large eggs. Also, cook 1 cup of rice.
- Heat up 1-2 TB of grapeseed oil in a saute pan over medium heat and saute the onions until soft, about 5-10 mins
- Add the sliced mushrooms and saute for a few minutes. After a few minutes add 1/3 cup of mirin and saute until the mushrooms release all their liquid and the liquid evaporates for the most part
- Add the green onions and the chicken and saute for a few minutes until no longer pink on the outside. Add 1/4 cup of rice wine, 1 cup of low sodium chicken stock, 4 TB of low sodium soy sauce, bring to a boil and then lower the heat and simmer for about 3 minutes (*I didn't have any, but in the future I would also add a pinch of hondashi for some extra umami flavor in this step)
- Pour the beaten eggs over the top, cover, and simmer for about 3-5 minutes, until the eggs are no longer runny. Sprinkle with some sesame seeds, add freshly ground pepper to taste, and serve over white rice