Monday, June 20, 2011

Rice Cakes with Spicy Pork and Gruner Veltliner

I fired up some rice cakes with spicy pork and spinach in the wok for a hearty and easy dinner for two on Saturday night, which paired perfectly with a bottle of Gruner Veltliner from Franz Etz. Gruner Veltliner is one of my favorite food friendly wines; it's just so drinkable, nimble and crisp with just enough sugar and acid to match up to spicy Asian food. I used the same recipe that I used for dduk bok-ki with spicy pork, simply substituting frozen rice cakes from the Korean market defrosted and boiled for 3 minutes and rinsed in cold water, instead of the fresh dduk bok-ki. I think I actually prefer the rice cakes: not only does it not have to be cooked the same day as purchased, it's a lot lighter than the dduk with the same chewy and springy texture; as much as I love dduk bok-ki, it is a tad too dense and filling.
I really like this description of the Gruner, I think it is quite apt for all Gruner Veltliners in general

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...